Wednesday, October 19, 2011

I WOULD HAVE NO NAME FOR THEE. THE NEAREST I CAN USE IS I........


"Two beautiful birds are there sitting upon the same tree. The one [is] calm, silent, majestic; the one below [the individual self], is eating the fruits, sweet and bitter, and becoming happy and sad. [But when the individual self beholds the worshipful Lord as his own true Self, he grieves no more.]"

... Do not say "God". Do not ...say "Thou". Say "I". The language of [dualism] says, "God, Thou, my Father." The language of [non-dualism] says, "Dearer unto me than I am myself. I would have no name for Thee. The nearest I can use is I....

- Swami Vivekananda
The Soul And God (Delivered in San Francisco, March 23, 1900) - The Complete Works of Swami Vivekananda/Volume 1/Lectures And Discourses/The Soul And God

No comments:

Post a Comment