Tuesday, January 31, 2012

BUT MONEY AND EVERYTHING ELSE I WANT MUST COME, BECAUSE THEY ARE MY SLAVES, AND NOT I THEIRS; MONEY AND EVERYTHING ELSE MUST COME. MUST - THAT IS THE WORD



Secondly, in connection with this temple there should be an institution to train teachers who must go about preaching religion and giving secular education to our people; they must carry both. As we have been already carrying religion from door to door, let us along with it carry secular education also. That can be easily done. Then the work will extend through these bands of teachers and preachers, and gradually we shall have similar temples in other places, until we have covered the whole of India. That is my plan. It may appear gigantic, but it is much needed. You may ask, where is the money. Money is not needed. Money is nothing. For the last twelve years of my life, I did not know where the next meal would come from; but money and everything else I want must come, because they are my slaves, and not I theirs; money and everything else must come. Must — that is the word. Where are the men? That is the question.

- Swami Vivekananda
The Complete Works of Swami Vivekananda/Volume 3/Lectures from Colombo to Almora/The Future of India

No comments:

Post a Comment