Wednesday, June 13, 2012

I DO NOT BELIEVE IN A GOOD, WHO CANNOT GIVE ME BREAD HERE, GIVING ME ETERNAL BLISS IN HEAVEN! POOH!



Material civilization, nay, even luxury, is necessary to create work for the poor. Bread! Bread! I do not believe in a God, who cannot give me bread here, giving me eternal bliss in heaven! Pooh! India is to be raised, the poor are to be fed, education is to be spread, and the evil of priestcraft is to be removed. No priestcraft, no social tyranny! More bread, more opportunity for everybody! Our young fools organise meetings to get more power from the English. They only laugh. None deserves liberty who is not ready to give liberty. Suppose the English give over to you all the power. Why, the powers that be then, will hold the people down, and let them not have it. Slaves want power to make slaves.

- Swami Vivekananda
The Complete Works of Swami Vivekananda/Volume 4/Writings: Prose/To my Brave Boys

No comments:

Post a Comment