Friday, April 20, 2012

WHERE DO YOU FIND THE INDIAN SOCIETY STANDING STILL ? IT IS ALWAYS ON THE MOVE. I TELL THEM THAT THEY HAVE DONE WELL. I ONLY ASK THEM TO DO BETTER


Q: "But if the present degraded condition is due to their past Karma, Swamiji, how do you think they could get out of it easily, and how do you propose to help them?"

The Swamiji readily answered "Karma is the eternal assertion of human freedom. If we can bring ourselves down by our Karma, surely it is in our power to raise ourselves by it. The masses, besides, have not brought themselves down altogether by their own Karma. So we should give them better environments to work in.

No time should be lost. Indian caste is better than the caste which prevails in Europe or America. I do not say it is absolutely good. Where would you be if there were no caste? Where would be your learning and other things, if there were no caste? There would be nothing left for the Europeans to study if caste had never existed! The Mohammedans would have smashed everything to pieces. Where do you find the Indian society standing still? It is always on the move. Sometimes, as in the times of foreign invasions, the movement has been slow, at other times quicker. This is what I say to my countrymen. I do not condemn them. I look into their past. I find that under the circumstances no nation could do more glorious work. I tell them that they have done well. I only ask them to do better."

- Swami Vivekananda
THE ABROAD AND THE PROBLEMS AT HOME
(The Hindu, Madras, February, 1897)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment