Saturday, April 21, 2012

WHATEVER IN MY TEACHING MAY APPEAL TO THE HIGHEST INTELLIGENCE AND BE ACCEPTED BY THINKING MEN, THE ADOPTION OF THAT WILL BE MY REWARD - TRUTH STANDS ON ITS OWN AUTHORITY, AND TRUTH CAN BEAR THE LIGHT OF DAY



Q: "Then you are connected with no society or sect in this country? Neither Theosophical nor Christian Scientist, nor any other?"

Swamiji: "None whatever!" said the Swami in clear and impressive tones. (His face lights up like that of a child, it is so simple, straightforward and honest.) "My teaching is my own interpretation of our ancient books, in the light which my Master shed upon them. I claim no supernatural authority. Whatever in my teaching may appeal to the highest intelligence and be accepted by thinking men, the adoption of that will be my reward." "All religions", he continued, "have for their object the teaching either of devotion, knowledge, or Yoga, in a concrete form. Now, the philosophy of Vedanta is the abstract science which embraces all these methods, and this it is that I teach, leaving each one to apply it to his own concrete form. I refer each individual to his own experiences, and where reference is made to books, the latter are procurable, and may be studied by each one for himself. Above all, I teach no authority proceeding from hidden beings speaking through visible agents, any more than I claim learning from hidden books or manuscripts. I am the exponent of no occult societies, nor do I believe that good can come of such bodies. Truth stands on its own authority, and truth can bear the light of day."

- Swami Vivekananda
AN INDIAN YOGI IN LONDON
(The Westminster Gazette, 23rd October, 1895)

No comments:

Post a Comment