Monday, March 12, 2012

SO, THAT HELP WHICH TENDS TO MAKE US STRONG SPIRITUALLY IS THE HIGHEST


Next in order comes, of course, helping a man physically. Therefore, in considering the question of helping others, we must always strive not to commit the mistake of thinking that physical help is the only help that can be given. It is not only the last but the least, because it cannot bring about permanent satisfaction. The misery that I feel when I am hungry is satisfied by eating, but hunger returns; my misery can cease only when I am satisfied beyond all want. Then hunger will not make me miserable; no distress, no sorrow will be able to move me. So, that help which tends to make us strong spiritually is the highest, next to it comes intellectual help, and after that physical help.

- Swami Vivekananda
The Complete Works of Swami Vivekananda/Volume 1/Karma-Yoga/The Secret of Work

No comments:

Post a Comment